Games of 23


Here are my thoughts on all the games I've finished in 2023. Some good, some great.  The thoughts included here are mine and mine alone.  You may feel differently, and that's ok.  It's ok that you're wrong. 


Callisto protocol. 1/4/23

Despite finishing this on the 4th of January, my thoughts on it were aired in last years post. 

Crisis core remaster. 1/14/23

A sort of discount unreal 4 remaster. Gameplay was fun and kept me going for almost 20 hours. I loved the original PSP version. For this I wish they had invested a little more and tried to tie it to FF7r better, story wise. Production value is what it is. I see a lot of people whining about voice acting... It's an old game from an old handheld console... Not a AAA game. 

Last of us part 1. 2/3/23

I originally thought this version was a cash grab. That is until I saw a detailed video on just how much was reworked from the ground up. The game always was gorgeous but this takes it to another level. The game always was fun but this put a little more polish on that as well. Every bit is fun as it always has been, and this is now my third completion and third version owned.

Rez co. 3/2/23

This is a game I've loved since the ps3! I've purchased all the iterations over the years but could never actually finish the game. Until now that is. Aiming with your eyeballs on the PSVR2 made for an incredibly fun experience. Ended up running through the entire game in one playthrough. Not much to some... But I felt good finally finishing it after all these years.

Last of us part 2. 3.14.23

A lot of people feel a lot of ways about this game. In many ways it can be considered divisive. Graphically, it's hard to believe it's a last gen game. The "Pulp fiction" style of story telling works in some cases, not so much here. Adulthood being what it is sometimes it's a few days or a week before I get to play... So jumping back in and not knowing where I am was sometimes a little confusing. Abby was pretty unlikeable all round. I see where we're supposed to start feeling for her and why, but, like a character in the game even said to her... She's just an asshole. 

Ratchet & clank rift apart. 6.10.23

Where to begin. Started when it became free. Sorry I waited this long though. I should've bought this when I got the ps5. This game is gorgeous, fun (as always), and had a really solid story! Definitely want to replay at some point before the next game! 

Final Fantasy XVI. 8.5.23

Can't say enough good things about this one!  Finished playthrough number 1 at about the 70 hour mark. Did all the main and side quests. But only half of the hunts, so that's first  thing when i go back for round 2. Graphically stunning. One hell of a story!  I mean, THIS is what Game of Thrones should have been! Some of the best fantasy storytelling I've ever experienced in a video game.  Best part however, the combat!  I do still miss turn-based. But I am also a sucker for ARPGs as well!  I just never wanted battles to end, it is so much fun.  If you haven't yet, play this game!  

Runners-up & closing thoughts  12.28.23

While those listed here are all that i have completed this year, it is not all that were played.  A few that stood out, that are note worthy, would be, Chained Echoes, Sea of Stars, and Baldurs Gate 3.  Those first two hit right in the nostalgic feels.  So much old Schooley, Chrono Trigger vibes. Effort will be made to finish those two in the coming year.  BG3...that's a much taller order.  I love this game. But i do often feel intimidated by the scope and intricacies.  Decision paralysis occurring at ever choice, and every level up. Still going to keep trying to finish it, despite the few start-overs, and 100+ hours already invested. 

Overall, this was one heck of a year to be a gamer, once again. If i had to pick a GOTY from this list, it would be FF16. It just had it all, and left me wanting more despite feeling satisfied with what there was. 2024, doesn't appear to have much on the docket, but with Final Fantasy Rebirth, and some DLC for FF 16...at least there'll be something to play. 

Comments

Popular Posts